You’ve met someone at a networking meeting, you’ve arranged to have a coffee with them as a follow up, you’ve asked them questions and listened to their problem and you KNOW you can help them. You KNOW your service or products are EXACTLY what they need to make them feel better, for the problem to go away and for them to be able to resolve their issue and get on with their business and life.
So you explain to them what you can do for them, tell them stories about people in similar situations you have helped, give them your price options and availability ……………. and then what?
I work with so many women who at that stage will get in with the rejection first: “But you probably aren’t interested in that”, “You probably need more time to think about it”, “I’ll leave that with you to think about”. They don’t want to appear pushy so they go to the other extreme.
I don’t know about you but when I am on the receiving end of that, I think “What they do is exactly what I need but they don’t seem to want to do business with me…” “Perhaps I do need more time to think about it but I was about to say yes…”, “Don’t they want to work with me?”
I also work with a few people (sometimes men but not always) who at that stage might say “Shall I book you in next Wednesday or Thursday?” or “How would you like to pay for that?” and push a little too quickly or a little too soon! Because that’s how they were taught to sell – Always Be Closing (ABC).
But I believe there is a middle way! A way that demonstrates you would love to work with them but where you don’t have to feel or be rejected. A way that empowers your potential client and doesn’t make them feel like they are being coerced into a decision.
So next time you find yourself in the above situation – try the 8 magic words above and see what happens.
Let’s look more closely at those magic words:
- : “How” – you’ve given them options for working with you and now you are asking them to choose their next action which could be
- work with you as they like what they know about you so far. In the first scenario above there was no option or opportunity to say yes!
- Don’t want to work with you for some reason but at least you’ll find that out now and not string it out over a series of emails and phonecalls AND you’ll get feedback as to why they don’t want to work with you which will be helpful with targeting other potential clients
- They genuinely do need time to reflect, compare, ask others’ opinions. Again you can find that out now and make a mutually convenient time to follow that up knowing what action that person needs to take to make their decision.
- “would you like” the emphasis is on them – the potential client and it is completely their choice what happens next – you are empowering them to make the decision. If as a result they do chose to work with you they will take ownership of that decision, be proud of it, tell their friends and Facebook, twitter followers about you! (It does happen!)
- “to take this further” You’ve implied that this is the start of the relationship, there are potentially more steps and it is up to them which step and at what pace they take the relationship! Very empowering.
So try it and notice how relaxed you feel once you have said it – the decision is out of your hands.
This tip and others can be found in my Predictable Income and Profits Programme
PS You could also try this at the end of a first date to find out what he wants to happen next!!!