It is shocking but not surprising that UK Women’s businesses are more likely to close than men’s and less likely to attribute closure to ‘business failure’ and more likely to cite ‘personal reasons’ (Women in Enterprise: A Different Perspective, RBS Group 2013)
I have spoken to a number of women recently who have taken a step back from their business to care for elderly relatives or just found the experience of running a business too hard, too difficult and not enough revenue in return to support their efforts.
Which is such a shame when they have a great service or products to share, that the world is slighter duller without their transformational qualities and gifts doing what they do best.
And business and selling their services doesn’t have to be hard. We are so fortunate today that we have so many free resources at our fingertips than we did 5, 10 or 15 years ago.
- We have a free worldwide database of professionals in LinkedIn to connect with to build trust and mutual respect
- We have a worldwide referral and sharing platform in Facebook.
- We have a free shop window to show off our products in Pinterest and Instagram
- We now have Facebook Live that works as free TV advertising for us
- We have the internet and Google local to share our trusted business with those looking for exactly what we do
- We have Hootsuite, Buffer and other tools to schedule our posts while we are away
- We have Mailchimp and other email tools to send out emails while we are away
- There are automated systems to help us track and nurture prospects and take payment all while we sleep or spend our time with loved ones.
I remember the first online sale I made. It was back in 2012, I was on holiday in Australia at the time and on the beach I got one email that told me all of this:
- there was more money in my bank,
- my new client had been thanked
- her programme was on it’s way to her, an email every day for 30 days which included videos, webinars, audio recordings, written messages and 30 mini tasks to do.
I can’t tell you what a great feeling that was. All that happened while I was on the beach with family and friends on the other side of the world and my business, and more importantly, my sales could go on without me.
That adapted product still sells today and gets great results for the clients that follow it. But I’m not here to sell you that programme. I would like you to be as excited as me about selling in your sleep. Putting systems in place that means
- Prospects get to know like and trust you
- Prospects understand what you are selling and what problem it solves for them
- Prospects can download something free that gives them a chance to try before they buy from you
- Prospects become clients when they take the next easy step with you.
- Prospects and clients can book into your diary so you can have a meaningful 1:1 with them and find out what they really need.
All while you are asleep, or on holiday, or playing with your kids or caring for others.
It’s not easy and it’s not quick to set it all up. But the magic is once it is set up, it’s there for years to come. I’ve sold my 30 days programme for the last 5 years. So all that work pays off over and over again.
If you’d like to learn more, join one of my 90 day Clarity and Profit Planning one day workshops when we work on your business over the next 3 months ensuring you have time for you, time for your family, time for holidays as well as strategies to keep the sales coming in. For details of the next one click here.
Don’t be a statistic – embrace technology, harness it as your staff, your team, your substitute, think smart and creatively….. and don’t do it all alone.